Special Occasions

Paul Gauguin Cruises is also the specialist in creating memorable celebrations. There simply is not a more romantic setting for a new beginning or personal milestone than aboard our luxurious ship, and we are renowned for the extra touches and attention to detail that make every occasion special. Commemorate a marriage or anniversary with a gathering featuring a unique Polynesian blessing ceremony. Honeymooners receive a complimentary package featuring a celebratory bottle of sparkling wine and more, or you can upgrade to an optional package with many extras, including a private dinner with an Officer.

We also offer special optional packages for wedding receptions, anniversaries, and renewals of vows.  To view click here.

Complimentary Blessing Ceremony

When you choose to celebrate an anniversary or spend your honeymoon aboard The Gauguin, we provide these complimentary amenities as our gift to you:

  • Congratulatory letter from the Captain
  • Polynesian Blessing Ceremony: special gathering performed by Les Gauguines—our onboard troupe of hostess/entertainers
  • Celebratory Champagne or bottle of house sparkling wine at embarkation
  • One complimentary picture
A couple celebrates their marriage with a Polynesian blessing ceremony and a specially prepared chocolate cake.


Tahitian Wedding

The idyllic setting and balmy climate of French Polynesia are the perfect venue for the ultimate romantic wedding. A law was passed making it possible for American and Canadian nationals to do just that. Below are some frequently asked questions about the requirements for a legal Polynesian wedding. For more information and a free destination wedding guide, please visit Tahiti Tourisme North America.

The cruise director conducts a wedding ceremony for a man and a woman dressed wearing tropical flowers.

Please visit the Tahiti Tourisme website to review the eligibility requirements for a Tahitian wedding.

No. Paul Gauguin Cruises provides wedding receptions but not a legal marriage ceremony. Instead, you and your spouse-to-be, along with your guests and witnesses, must go to city hall in the commune in which you wish to be married and have the mayor (or an appointed representative) perform the ceremony. See below for details and required documentation.

Yes, the couple must obtain and complete the following documents (available through the Tahiti Tourisme website address above):

  • The "Marriage of Foreign Citizens in French Polynesia" application
  • A letter signed and dated by both future spouses, addressed to the mayor of the commune chosen for the marriage ceremony
  • A copy of both spouses' passports (required for proof of identity)
  • A certified copy of both spouses' birth certificates, authenticated with an "Apostille" translated into French by an approved translator and legalized by the French Consulate (approved translators can be found on the consulate's website)

Note: The birth certificates must have been issued less than 6 months prior to the date of the marriage.

  • A "Certificate of Non-Marital Status" ("Certificat de Celibat") signed by a lawyer, translated into French, and legalized by the French Consulate (approved lawyers can be found on the consulate's website)
  • Proof of residency for both of the future spouses (a utility bill or any bill noting names and physical address will suffice)
  • Note: A photocopy of the bills is acceptable for both spouses.

Yes, prenuptial agreements are optional. If such an agreement is desired, it must be translated into French and authenticated by the French Consulate.

Once the required documentation is gathered, it must be sent to the mayor's office of the commune in which the couple is getting married. The mayor's office will then contact the bride and groom to advise them of the approved date and time of the wedding.

Documents must be received at least 45 days prior to the ceremony.

On the day of the ceremony, the couple, together with their guests and witnesses, go to city hall (Mairie). The mayor (or an appointed representative from the mayor's office) will perform the ceremony, in the presence of at least two witnesses and in the language chosen by the wedding couple. After the ceremony, the mayor will give the couple a Marriage Certificate. This certificate will be dated and signed by the mayor's office of the commune in which the marriage takes place. A "romantic ceremony" can be held afterward, if the couple so desires.

We can help you with your reception and an "exchange of vows" ceremony, but you are responsible for the logistics of your legal wedding. We suggest that you make the necessary arrangements far in advance and that you make plans to spend extra time ashore.