Paul Gauguin Cruises was created with the intent to provide enjoyable and meaningful travel experiences to this unique part of the planet. We care deeply, not only for our guests, but for the communities, cultures and natural wonders that make Tahiti, French Polynesia, and the South Pacific so alluring. We are dedicated to minimizing our environmental footprint and supporting local communities, while maximizing your experience of Polynesia's vivid, vibrant cultures, and stunning natural beauty.
Caring for Culture
Participating directly in French Polynesia’s many rich traditions leads to deeper, more meaningful connections, and we strive to infuse the Polynesian spirit into everything we do.
- Cultural experts share their knowledge onboard through dynamic and entertaining lectures and presentations.
- Our troupe of cultural ambassadors, Les Gauguines and Les Gauguins, welcome guests to experience the local way of life.
- Guests have ample opportunities to delve into the culture: learn to weave a hei from freshly-plucked flowers; join in on traditional dance performances; and learn to strum a ukulele.
- Experience regional cuisine like moonfish and traditional roasted suckling pig, on board and on optional shore excursions.
- Enhance weddings, anniversaries, and vow renewals with a traditional Polynesian blessing ceremony.
Caring for the Environment
We share the French Polynesians’ deep respect for our vast blue oceans, and our commitment to eco-friendly operations guides our activities both on and off the ship.
- Through our partnership with Te mana o te moana, a South Pacific marine education and conservation foundation, we offer the Moana Explorer program which invites guests to discover and value the natural wonders of this breathtaking part of the world through hands-on, interactive learning. While it is designed for children and teens ages 7-15, all family members are welcome to participate. Every day of the voyage, there is a combination of naturalist-led island and/or beach excursions, science activities, crafts, games, and other adventures.
- Attend a presentation on select voyages where celebrated marine biologists, oceanographers, conservationists, and cultural experts share their knowledge through dynamic presentations and Q&A sessions.
- Explore the vibrant coral reefs and abundant marine biodiversity up close through an optional SCUBA excursion or certification course, where gray reef sharks, giant octopi, and kaleidoscopic parrotfish can be spotted.
Caring for People
We believe in sustainable travel that benefits both guests and island communities alike. Our cruises are designed to give back to local peoples and support local businesses.
- Experience Tonga’s bygone traditions though live demonstrations, like weaving clothing from bark in the local botanical garden, while learning about ongoing plant conservation efforts.
- Get a taste for Polynesian life today by visiting a local marketplace, where you can you find authentic souvenirs to bring back home.
- Explore vestiges of marae (ancient temples) and stroll through pineapple plantations on an excursion with a local guide whose personal insight and stories will provide you with deeper understanding.
- Journey to a small black pearl farm, where you will learn firsthand about local oysters and the process of cultivating one of the world’s favorite jewelry items.